Salad smoothies are my favorite smoothie.
While I drink more juice than I do smoothies, my one exception is a salad smoothie. My body is powered by liquids. This is how I feel the best and perform the best.
You may be wondering about the freaky sounding combination of a salad and a blender but it is amazing tasting.
Here are the values of eating a blended salad smoothie:
- Because the ingredients are blended, you retain all the fiber and they are broken down by the blending action so you are able to assimilate the macronutrients much better. This means that less food makes you full because you are finally able to meet your nutrition and energy needs.
- You can get way more macronutrients into a salad smoothie than you could be eating a salad.
- You skip on the dressing and never, ever miss it!
- It is super easy to eat and can be made on the go.
- The flavors are rich and intense. If you are a true foodie like me, flavor is the name of the game. I love intense flavor explosions and salad smoothies satisfy my palate (and emotions) even when I am around regular cooked food.
- It is harder to find a better detox than with healthy liquid drink recipes.
- Feeding your body the macronutrients you need means that weight loss will come easily.
I love salads. I always have and always will. I found that I can take it up a notch and make them even better by blending the ingredients into a fantastic salad smoothie.
If one of my kids walk by while I am eating a salad smoothie, it often ends up in their hands (and tummy) instead of mine. Yes, they are that good.
Now here’s the downside to salad smoothies:
- If you are a person that is against their food being green, then you are not going to like salad smoothies. Salad smoothies are not just green, they are sort of a muddled green color.
- Many people consider salad smoothie recipes for weight loss. If you are in the category where you don’t need to lose weight, eating blended salads could cause you to lose weight. It has been my experience that your body will do whatever it needs to do if you are feeding it correctly. Lost weight may balance out naturally with continued salad smoothie eating.
- They often disappear out of your hands when other people know that you are eating a salad smoothie.
Super Salad Smoothie Recipe:
I make my salad smoothies in my Nutribullet because it is more than enough for 1 serving.
After the produce is cleaned and cut up in small pieces, I add into the Nutribullet carafe:
- ½ cucumber
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Half of red pepper
- 1 celery stalk
- Small handful of mushrooms
- 1 green onion
- small handful of cilantro
- small handful of sprouts
- ½ avocado
- 1-2 TBS Lemon juice
- Add a shake of Himalayan Salt if desired.
I blend everything well. I then add in a handful of baby kale and baby spinach with 2 leaves of basil. I blend it very briefly. Blending greens too much will often produce that bitter taste so just add them at the end and blend.
You can add whatever you want into your salad smoothie.
If you are like me and love your salad in a glass, then you will probably love my super healthy, cancer fighting PB & J smoothie.